lichess.org
Donate

Why can't Chess960 Correpondence be rated while Standard Chess can be?

What is the purpose of preventing rated games through correspondence for Chess960?

Looks like, no rated option for variants in correspondence. I don't play other variants so not having rated option for them is not my concern.

But Chess960 is very much standard chess, just with different initial position, to avoid standardized opening lines. So for a player Chess960 is just chess, though lichess code bunches it along with Antichess, crazyhouse, etc the typical "variants" which are completely different from standard chess.

With that point of view, if I can create rated standard correspondence game, why not rated chess960 correspondence game?
i already asked this question and got answered because they would have to make a new rating category for every variant
Yes, correspondence rating cannot be just for standard. Is it work-in-progress or the idea was rejected because of this?
There is no rated variants correspondence ever. Correspondence is one of the standard categories, hence it's only based on standard chess.
I think the reasoning is that you have one rating for each variant. For example, you don't have separate ratings for "Atomic blitz" and "Atomic bullet", etc.

Those would be a lot of different rating categories for something that is more or less considered a fun side hustle.

So the question is why can't variant games played in corr time controls not be rated with the usual ratings? Technically, they could, but corr time controls are so much different from live, that mixing those up would not make much sense.

And as those games are going on for days and weeks, the rating changes come at a point when the original rating has long changed, and this will lead to further confusion.
All these explanations assume chess960 is simply a variant, and thus it shall be treated as such. This is where I differ. It is not yet another variant. It is serious chess. It deserves to be treated alongside standard chess, not alongside other variants.

Don't take my word for it. There were suggestions from legendary GMs like Bobby Fischer to replace standard chess with chess960 to keep chess alive.

If you reject this guy as a crazy man, let us see what FIDE does?

* FIDE conducts World Championship for Chess960 (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess960_Championship).
* Hikaru Nakamura is the current Chess960 World Champion.
* There will be Chess960 World Championship on 2024 and Lichess will broadcast it.

What more recognition chess960 to get to have chess960 treated alongside standard chess?

Let us see how International Correspondence Chess Federation ICCF treats chess960.

* ICCF conducts Chess960 Correspondence World Cup regularly.
* ICCF maintains TWO rating lists. One for standard chess and another for chess960!

Take a look at the rating list: www.iccf.com/RatingList.aspx (Switch between the option from chess to chess960).

--

I play chess960 to improve my chess away from known openings. Having the rating helps with understanding of our level of play. We don't argue if there is a need for correspondence rating for standard chess. The same applies for correspondence ratings for chess960. ICCF, the correspondence body, understands it. Hope lichess understands it too.

In short, Lichess shall bunch chess960 alongside standard chess, instead of bunching it with variants. This could start with providing separate correspondence rating for chess960.
I don't argue with that. But in that case, just adding a separate corr rating would probably be the least important thing to add. Separate ratings for rapid, classical, etc. would seem more relevant.

It would effectively double everything., which add this point seems disproportionate, given how much it is played compared to standard chess. And a rating category without many active players is not working well.

A different approach would be to treat 960 just as chess, and use the standard ratings. But this doesn't feel right either.

The current solution is a compromise, and every other would be, too. At this point, it seems a reasonable one.